Friday, January 22, 2010

My 7 year old rabbit is only eating some lettuce and is acting funny?

she is mostly lying down and is breathing a bit heavy. She isn't that interested in the treats she always loves. She is only eating them if I shove them in her face and not eating very enthusiastically even when she does eat. She won't take the pellets. Plus I think the chipmunks are always going into her cage and eating her pellets. I don't know if this has affected her or not. She gets veggies every day.My 7 year old rabbit is only eating some lettuce and is acting funny?
Your rabbit is sick and sounds like she is in gastrointestinal stasis. It could be she just has some digestive upset, or it could be there is an underlying health issue. Either way, she does need vet attention if she has gone more than 12 hours without eating her normal food. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.htmlMy 7 year old rabbit is only eating some lettuce and is acting funny?
I have 4 old very happy bunnies.





Rabbit are not like other animals. Not eating is life threatening in a short period of time. A bunny that does not want to eat, may not last 24 hours.


My rex was acting like yours once. I took her to the vet, she was clogged up with her fur. The vet gave he cat hairball cream and told me to feed her stage 2 vegatable baby food. She did not like it and bit me for the fist time. She was as good as new after that.





Lettuce is not toxic to your bunny. Iceberg lettice is just like drinking water, no nutritional value.





I don't know if I would deny my bunny the only thing giving it comfort. If it wants lettuce, a dark leaf variety would be best.





Long term nutrition is not a big concern if your rabbit is in distress.





Don't feed your bunny spinach, kale or mustard greens, to often, they are high in oxalates and cause urinary track problems. Rhubarb and raw beans are toxic.





The best diet for rabbits is timothy hay. Pellets should be limited. Combing out loose hair can prevent hair ball problems.
I'm afraid this isn't good, I lost my rabbit a few days ago and just 3 weeks ago he was acting the same way but he snapped out of it.


Looks like shes old now and has started to have gotten so ';Tired'; she can't be bothered to eat or drink some water. It's not a painful death just think of it like shes starting to feel tired.


Each day getting more and more sleepy, until the gloomy day she closes her eyes and finally gets some sleep. Feel Comfort that before she goes she will be very comfortable. Don't get your hopes up with the fact it could be nothing, or the fact that it's a death sentence.


Nothing is wrong with her either way just getting old, and you must let her age a happy bunny. Going to the vet is a bet idea! They'll just put her down saying shes to old when isn't it better she dies on her terms?


Lettuce is not poisonous to rabbits and whom ever said that is clearly odd.


Be sure to give her lots of love.


Hope this helps sweetie. xX
bunnies shouldn't be fed lettuce, onions. something is wrong, Rabbits need timothy or alfalfa hay daily for their diet. Easier/less expensive if go to feed store. need to take bunny to vet. try house rabbit society in Denver. I know you've had her 7 yrs. but try kale, collard greens or spinach or fresh grass from your yard. carrots, bananas w peel, apples, corn on cob?
You shouldn't feed her lettuce!! give her cabbage instead.


She may just not be hungry and rabbits actually lie down and stretch themselves out when the are happy which can look abit scary. Put just in case ring a vet and ask if her behaviour is normal!








Good Luck!!





Hope she gets better (if there is something wrong!)
First rabbit should never eat lettuce the only lettuce they can eat is romaine. I would also advice you get her checked out by your vet as her breathing is bad and she is not eating as usual. The sooner the better.
Thats how mine was for a few days. I let him be and made sure he had plenty of water %26amp; food just incase! I cleaned his cage and the next day he seemed to be getting quite better! Is your clean dirty??
Lettuce is poisonous to rabbits!!!!! Get her to a vet immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO lettuce...give him carrots. Lettuce can make small animals sick and could be fatal.
srry i ges it time for her to R.I.P
I hate to say this but... well seven years is quite old... your pet my be leaving...

No comments:

Post a Comment