Friday, January 22, 2010

How to get my rabbit used to being handled?

I have been brushing and holding her every day almost as soon as I get home.


But she is still a little skittish. I will be showing her for FFA and was wondering if there were any idea鈥檚 out there on how to get her used to being handled and around people.How to get my rabbit used to being handled?
Keep doing what you are doing. You might want to feed it a little snack too.How to get my rabbit used to being handled?
Keep doing what your doing, offer her treats sometimes while your holding her and also you want to just spend alot of time around her. Try just sitting on the floor with her and read a book while she runs around. Rabbits will gain your trust by knowing that they can be around you without being bothered all the time as well. You don't always have to be holding or touching a rabbit in order for them to bond with you. In fact it's usually best to let them approach you and get comfortable with being around you first before you start handling them alot. Lastly have patience, sometimes it can take awhile for them to get use to being handled and some rabbits no matter how much you work with them, will never like being handled. It depends on the personality of the rabbit. Good luck!
You are doing everything right. You just need to do more of it, get friends %26amp; relatives to hold her %26amp; play with her. It is normal for a new bunny to be nervous. When you have had her a couple of months try getting her to sit on your knee %26amp; beg for a treat. Once you can get her to do that she will trust you enough to let you put her on her back %26amp; tickle her tummy. This position is good for cutting nails %26amp; checking the belly for wounds etc.,
Keep doing it. It is the only way. She just needs to work out that your not a threat to her. With my rabbits, I let her out in a fenced off area for about an hour a day, and i just sat in there with her. She soon came over to suss me out, and i left carrot peelings near me. When she was comfortable coming over to me, I could hold her no problem. She eventually thought I was a rabbit, and licked my jumpers clean and made nests in my lap!
Put her on somewhere like your bed, I used to all the time with my bunny.





I would lay in the centre and she'd hop around me. I'd encourage her to hop on my back and once she did I'd get on all fours and walk around the room xD Just mess about really...Stroke her ears and face alot they like that =]
Had my bunny since November. He is still skittish, and HATES being picked up, but loves a stroke and massage. He will get used to it, just keep doing what you are doing! Sit on the floor with him a lot too, so ur down to his level and just let him investigate you!
the only way to get her used to it is to keep handling her. and maybe have a few people she doesn't know handle her, too so shes used to strangers
be careful when holding him and put him down when he wwantsdown

No comments:

Post a Comment