Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is it bad for a rabbit to give it granola bars?

An elderly neighbor has been gone for a few days and had asked me to look in on her rabbit. The rabbit is housed comfortably in an outdoor hutch, with plenty of room to scamper about; the only care required is to feed and water it.





Looking at the rabbit's food, I was rather nonplussed: it looks like green pellets and has a strong smell. I thought that the rabbit must get tired of eating this and wanted to give it a treat, so I gave it a granola bar, which it promptly consumed. Since it seemed to enjoy it so much, I went and retrieved another and gave it to it.





My girlfriend noticed me going back and forth and inquired if all was well with the rabbit. When I told her I was giving it granola bars, she said that was a stupid thing to do, that I probably had made it sick, and should tell our neighbor when she returns, as well as apologize.





I wasn't trying to hurt the rabbit, just give it a treat. Are granola bars really harmful for rabbits? Should I apologize?Is it bad for a rabbit to give it granola bars?
No matter how *natural* a granola bar might seem, they're still processed and contain more sugar and sweeteners than a rabbit should have. As boring as a rabbit's diet might be, their pellets and hay contain all the nutrients they would need and are fortified with vitamins. It's probably not going to hurt him (unless that's all you've been feeding him lately), but at the very least you should let the neighbor know just in case.





If you really want to spoil him, share a piece of apple or go and guy him some wooden chew toys or goodie basket from the pet supply place.Is it bad for a rabbit to give it granola bars?
What the old lady doesn't know, won't hurt you.
A granola bar is a processed human food. Rabbits are allergic to a TON of things.... the neighbor asked you to watch out for the rabbit, it's not up to you to decide what it eats, so yes.... you should definitely appologize... promptly.
yes what were you thinking! did you read the ingrediants! dont belive them when they say no sugars because there are! rabbits can die because of the stuff that is holding the ingrediants together! visit the aspca website to find out more about abused or abandoned animals aspca.org.


adopt an animal today! save a life!





shame on you! :/
People food isn't for animals
Without sounding mean..they make rabbit pellets for a reason. I would not give the rabbit anything other than what the owner left for it. If you want to feed it something else you need to check with your local vet and seek their advice. Otherwise stick with the food the owner left for the rabbit to eat. Hope it doesn't get sick from the granola bar...Good Luck
Darn! what a lucky rabbit, I wish it was me.
All of the answers given look thorough, so mine doesn't have to be serious at this point. What if the rabbit sneaks in and gives you some boring green, smelly pellets as a treat?
Yes. It's kind of complicated.


To put it simply, rabbits need that boring green stuff almost exclusively to keep their digestive tract healthy.


I made the same mistake but have learned from it since.


Just stop doing that, read up on rabbits just a bit,


and learn why it's bad.(see the link)


Two granola bars won't kill the rabbit; but if you get it hooked on them, the outcome will positively be bad for the rabbit.


It's really not too late to correct the situation without having to apologize. It was an honest mistake.


But honestly friend, since your girlfriend now knows what you were doing...(the kicker)...you may want be the one to fess up before she rats you out.


Girls have a way of doing that either accidentally or on purpose.
Ummm rabbit pellets are made with what the rabbit needs to be healthy. I would stick to the pellets and not take it upon yourself to ever introduce a food to a pet you are in care for another person other then that which the owner supplies. This is one on those I would not admit I was so st*pid days and just hope the rabbit has no adverse effect. Frankly I would be livid had it been my pet thus the reason I suggest just not mentioning it. Just don't do it again

No comments:

Post a Comment