Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Anyone have a rabbit and a dog interacting amicably?

No, I'm keeping the boxer we look after well away from the rabbit we look after, but I was just interested.Anyone have a rabbit and a dog interacting amicably?
I used to have a big chow/lab mix who loved our rabbits. Somewhere I have pictures of her taking a nap with a rabbit tucked under her arm. The rabbits would snuggle up to her and she apparently thought they were just dandy companions.





She was an unusually gentle dog.Anyone have a rabbit and a dog interacting amicably?
I have 5 rabbits and 3 dogs but i would not leave any of them unattended
My lab/pit mix brought in a baby feral bunny that was only 5 inches long without harming a hair. All 3 of my big dogs (greyhound and golden retriever) totally ignore the rabbit. The rabbit isn't at all afraid of any of them.
my dog loved playing with rabbits. but you have to be in control of your dog, i mean that it listens to you when you call it.
I had a dog, a cat and a rabbit when I was younger. The rabbit had the run of the garden and the dog used to protect it if other dogs or cats came near. They all got on great together.
Oh, I so want to say I envisage a dog using a rampant rabbit enthusiastically, but I won't..
Actually, we have! My brother's pet rabbit used to live inside and we would let her run in our dining room and our beagle would play tag with her. The dog would run after the rabbit, then the rabbit would run after the dog. Neither were threatening eachother, but they were just having a good time!





She was the only rabbit we had that was a pet, so since then I haven't tried to put our dog with any show rabbits. Our cat has played with one of my show rabbits, and we had some fostered baby cotton tails that would chase our cat and try to nurse thinking she was their mother.
The likelihood of success in a dog/rabbit relationship is far greater when working with a calm, mature dog. Adhering to the notion that the animals should ';grow up together'; is generally not a sound practice.





After being harassed by a playful pup, a rabbit can go into a terminal state of shock. If you find that your rabbit has been badgered by another animal, get veterinary treatment immediately. Symptoms may not show up for several hours, and by then it may be too late.





An enlightened HRS member tells us how well her two dogs and rabbit get along. She doesn't leave them unsupervised, but as she points out, ';You don't leave your (human) kids unsupervised.';





Caution: Coyote-dog mixes and wolf-dog mixes should NEVER be allowed to live with a rabbit, supervised or not.
my staff does
When I had a rabbit, we also had 3 dogs. Every dog acted differently when the rabbit was out. All three were curious, and followed the rabbit around, nose to the floor. Our Australian Cattle Dog, due to her breed, would nip and try to herd her. Our elderly dog (unknown breeds) was a little scared, and kept her distance. Our Catahoula mix was just content with watching the rabbit (although, if she were outside and saw a WILD rabbit, she'd act completely different, barking %26amp; chasing).
My auntie had a black lab and her daughter had a rabbit, the dog would follow the rabbit around picking up and eating it's sh1t, but never showed any aggression towards it.
my dogs would tear my rabbit to pieces if they got hold of it so we keep them well away from it but one of the dogs was ok round rabbits when it was a pup up until it caught a wild rabbit and now it just thinks they are a toy your meant to play with
no dogs like to chase and kill rabbits
my ckcs used to get on realy well with my neverland dwarf (the rabit was an adult wen dog came as pup)





they chased eachother every where buster licked the rabbit n would go in a box together if i put the rabit in one


they were best friends
Hello,


My dog gets on great with all of our rabbits, from the adults which are as big as she is, to the 8 week old kits who have just been introduced to the garden. She's a spaniel cross dachshund, very loving and gentle but I wouldn't leave her alone with the babies just in case she played too enthusiastically and hurt them by accident. She often goes out to play with the adult bunnies when it is their turn to have the garden and I'm more than happy to leave her to it, after 4 years I think she's proved she's trustworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment