Sunday, January 24, 2010

I have a rabbit and I was wandering what other people do to keep their homes ';rabbit proof';?

My rabbit is a youngster that just LOVES chewing and people say that you should never put rabbits and wires together. I have a computer in my room and a wooden bed and dresser but all I do is put 1 or 2 toys in the room with my rabbit and she doesn't get into ANYTHING! But just for safety what would you suggest?I have a rabbit and I was wandering what other people do to keep their homes ';rabbit proof';?
My rabbits are kept in my bedroom and the best thing i can recommend is unplug all electrical wires and move them away from the rabbit when you arent there to watch him/her.


My male rabbit chews through any wire he can get to, and the best thing to do is switch the plug off when not in use. He recently chewed through my phone charger but as it was switched off he didnt get electrocuted and i just bought a new charger.


If it is out of reach though he wont bother jumping up to chew them.





I also have to keep the food bags out of reach or they will tear them open and eat all their food lol. Cardboard boxes are also a lot of fun to rip up, which is fine if its an old used box, but if it is storing things inside the rabbtis then have access to that too.





If i have enough toys for them though then they are happy and with wooden chew toys they dont normally chew my things - although he has chewed a biiiggg hole in my bed sheets lol :)





Hope the bunny proofing goes well :)I have a rabbit and I was wandering what other people do to keep their homes ';rabbit proof';?
For safety i'd recommend you put thick duct tape on your wires. Wires out of reach should not be a problem. Also, put boxes, or something else on any sofas or beds that the rabbit can go under. Also, put everything small, or easy to break things such as barbie shoes, earrings, pins, hair clips, pieces of glass, erasers, and so on, you should put them away. they can choke or die from those things.


Hope i helped!
Tape down wires with thick duct tape against the floor (or just against the bottom part of the wall)...





I'm pretty sure it's okay for them to chew wood (someone correct me if i'm wrong), so it sounds like the wires are your only potential problem. My rabbit chewed quite a few wires back in his day...Not good! Not only do you lose a wire and probably whatever was attached to it, your bunny could also get electrocuted or anything like that.
I suggest to make her a little pen that takes up maybe.. half or the entire center of your room. Make sure it's foldable. I would make it with grids. Connect them with zip ties and a paper holder thing at the end. Keep her in that all day. Then at night put her in the cage. Hope I helped :)
We got a pen to keep the rabbit in... got it at our local pet supply store- it folds up easily to put away and it makes a large space for the bunny to hop around and have a good time without getting into trouble.





I think it is called an ex-pen
Wires covers/protectors, watch your bunny ALWAYS when outside cage, block off anything the bunny can't bite/eat/chew/destroy/scratch/ect! lol bunnies (trust me) are very aware and nosy! lol
theres a special tube like thing that you can put all your wires in to its a plastic like tube

No comments:

Post a Comment