Friday, January 22, 2010

Could I give my rabbit a nibble of banana as a treat?

I have a dwarf lop, and he isn't really into treats but I have some bananas I'm trying to use. I plan to make them into dog treats but was wondering if the rabbit might like a little. I know they are not supposed to have a whole lot of treats/fruits and only want to give him a little bit for something different. So bottom line question: is it alright to give him a very small chunk for a treat?Could I give my rabbit a nibble of banana as a treat?
Yes, a small piece of banana is just fine, but as it is high in sugar, should be occassional. They actually should have a variety of vegetables every day, and a small amount of fruit daily (around 1-2 oz for an adult) is good for a treat. Here's a list of good vegetables to feed: http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html And suggested fruits: http://www.rabbit.org/care/fruits.html And here's some general diet guidance that may be useful, including suggested amounts of vegetables: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.鈥?/a>Could I give my rabbit a nibble of banana as a treat?
He will love it! I give my fosters each one slice most mornings as I eat a banana on my oatmeal.





You do have to go easy with any fruits, carrots and bananas are particularly high in sugar. I understand that rabbits can get diabetes from too much sugar.





Treating the rabbit is NOT a way to use up spare bananas!
My rabbits LOVE banana. Its perfectly safe for them. Just, as you know, go easy on the sugar in general :)

No comments:

Post a Comment