Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How come my rabbit won't run when I let her out of her cage?

I have a year and a half old dawrf rabbit and she is a little over weight, when I let her out of her cage to run around all she does is lay down. What can I do to motivate her to run so that she can lose weight?? Help pleaseee!!How come my rabbit won't run when I let her out of her cage?
Well, you have a not uncommon dilemma that really doesn't have a good solution. We have a couple of chubs, too. And there is NOTHING we can do to get them to move around more. It's just not in their nature.





Short of putting them on a treadmill (which would be kind of cruel), I'm not sure there's much one can do except try to restrict treats or change them to healthy herbs and such. But exercise is really the key, and I have NEVER found a way to make a lazy, mellow bunny more athletic. It's probably no easier than doing the same for a human!





Try providing a rotating series of toys and boxes for chewing and digging, but don't let him have the same ones every day. The more things are new and different, the more likely he'll be to investigate and explore and move about.





If you have a safe, fenced outdoor area where the buns can run, I know few rabbits who can resist playing in the grass and digging in the dirt, at least when first put out. So rotating them into such a play area might help.





I wish I were more help here. But you truly have asked a question that probably does not have a solution. :(





Take care.How come my rabbit won't run when I let her out of her cage?
if your rabbits over weight then she probably wouldnt want to run alot so go to your rabbits bag of pellets and read how much they recomend to give, after you figure that out you should feed her in the morining and at night, inbetween you can give her alittle bit to snack on like 2 treats or some lettuce or diced up baby carrots, slow down on fatty foods, if shes not that over weight like you said you dont need her to loose alot of weight, when she comes out of her cage just try to do a baby voice and tickle her and try to encorage her to do a happy bunny dance then maybe she'll get real happy and run around
My rabbit is like that too sometimes. Sometimes they just want fresh air. They can be tired. I chase my rabbit and make a roaring noise. Clap your hands and frighten it. It will work. then if it is loyal call its name and it will come to you. Hope it helps! :)
maybe your rabbit is too fat. put a treat outside her cage like a foot away from the cage and see if she goes for it. if she doesnt, try moving it closer.
You can try encouraging her with treats but I guess that really wouldn't help!
when you let her out, stand back, let her be and give her her space. and make sure your not over feeding her.
dont feed her as much

No comments:

Post a Comment