Monday, January 18, 2010

At what age can you handle a baby rabbit?

i have 2 rabbits and thay have just had babys and i want to hold them there is 7 of them but i dont want the mum to kill them so i dont want to touch them .At what age can you handle a baby rabbit?
As a breeder i find it important to handle them from a very young age, i firstly rub my hands all over mum and give her loads of attention i then very gently feel in the nest. It is important not to disturb them too much so have a quick look at each one make sure that they look healthy and that they have a nice full tummy, also check that there are not any dead kits in the bottom of the nest. make sure you cover the nest once you have finished and make a fuss of mum againAt what age can you handle a baby rabbit?
Once the come out of the nest on their own you can handle them, they will usually be around 4 weeks. After that handle them as much as possible so they are very used to people when they go to their new homes.
3 weeks is the safest time
If it's her 1st litter don't touch them till their eyes are open, if you are worried she may kill them.





I handle our babies from 3 days old. I 1st pick up mum and give her a cuddle, I then put her back and so she can see I am looking in the nest. I normally only touch them 1st and then later in the day I will pick her up and have more cuddles and put her back and may only pick 1 or 2 up.


If you do this she will get used to you and know you will not hurt them, as you dont hurt her.





Always pick up mum or touch her 1st before going near the babies. Bringing her a treat is a good way to show you wont her them.





I have a litter of 4 netherland dwarfs and mum Penny loves to show me them I even get to see her feeding them - never have seen it with my other rabbits.





Don't worry if she does kill 1 or 2, 7 is a big litter.


I hope she does ok.





If you want any advice just let me know. I'll try and help.
if you get on well with the mum, she will not mind you touching them -stroke her first then touch a baby see how she reacts
wait until they come out of the nest on there own, but if you cant wait stroke the mother to get her scent on you before touching the babies
You Can touch them as soon as they are born,i am a breeder so i know this, the mom will have to get used to having your sent on her babies.
i use baroque tongues to pick them up but its best when still pink no fair not as messy cleaning the the grill

No comments:

Post a Comment