Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Why does my rabbit lick like a dog?

I've just had an eight week old lop eared rabbit and he started licking myself and my family.he likes the arms and legs mainly.any1 have any info or is he just a soppy bunny.Why does my rabbit lick like a dog?
Rabbits are social animals and usually live in large groups. Grooming is part of the social aspect. All my rabbits live in pairs and spend a long time each day grooming each other, they'll even groom me if they feel like it!





Since your bunny is the sole rabbit in the house you're now his social network. As he grows up and you spend more time with him you'll see a lot of weird behaviours, like flicking his feet at you when he's annoyed. There's a brilliant site that explains a lot of this





http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittal鈥?/a>





Well worth a look.Why does my rabbit lick like a dog?
He likes the salt from your skin.


Is he getting the correct food and enough water?





Maybe he thinks he is a hair!
Affection or salts on the skin. I think it beautiful behavior, however.


Charles
The sweat on our bodies contains a type of salt. When animals lick you, their just trying to taste the salt. Your rabbit probobly likes the taste.
Rabbits lick you because they like you. They are ';bunny kisses!'; Enjoy it - some rabbits don't kiss at all, some are tight with their kisses and only give them sparingly, and some give them at the slightest hint of a show of affection from you. You have a happy rabbit!
It's just his way of shoowing affection. Its how other rabbits groom each other. http://www.rabbit.org
Bunnies just like to lick i have 5 lionhead rabbit 2 adults and 3 40 day old bunnies and they lick all the time.Even my dog and 2 guinea pigs lick me. And my 2 cats really this 1 hes really fat and hes so cute and hes breath stinks. My guinea pigs lick the salt of our body.
this is not unusual behaviour it usually means that your bunny is lacking essential salts and minerals. I would suggest buying a salt lick and mineral lick blocks which are available at most pets stores and are not expensive.I think its quite cute and is not harmful to the bunny and very sweetand also helps to develope the bond between oyu and your bunny.
Salt on the skin?
It actually has more to do with affection than salts. If you put your hand under bunny's head, it means, ';groom me'; in their language, and my bunny will immediately lick me.
My bunny is 2 years old and he does the same exact thing so I think it is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment