Monday, January 18, 2010

Is a Portable dog kennel good for a rabbit?

My friend told me to buy this for my rabbit that im getting but i don't know if its a good idea. should i buy it? Is a Portable dog kennel good for a rabbit?
I use a small cat carrier with towel inside for transporting my rabbit, but if you were planing to keep the rabbit in there to live it would not be suitable, you can find a hutch at just about any pet store, like this;


http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp鈥?/a>Is a Portable dog kennel good for a rabbit?
Is it going to be used for a cage or travel? If it's just for travel a small plastic cat carrier works fine or even a cardboard box.


If you want to make it into a cage you'll have to modify it, and it'd have to be an extra large one or an extra extra large. Rabbits don't have much room in things like that.


Why don't you just build a cage? Something like this would be fine for a smaller breed rabbit http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/sho鈥?/a>


My rabbit's in a 4 long, 2 wide and 2 high one. She loves it and it gives her lots of room. Plus she has a small 2 long, 1 wide by 1 high second level. :]


I got the grid things at Walmart, $20 for a pack and I used 4 or 5 of them.. and then you can get this stuff called coroplast, it's corrugated plastic sheets. I got mine at Home Depot and then stuck it all together and added my rabbits litter box, food dish, water bottle, toys and all that.


:] Much better then pet store cages and dog crates.





Although something like this looks like it'd be fine. You'd just have to have a really big crate so there's room for everything.


http://www.bunspace.com/static/bunpics/7鈥?/a>





And I don't believe in keeping pets outside unless it's meant to be out.


Rabbits live longer when kept inside as well, because they don't have to worry about preditors, weather, water bottles freezing in winter or boiling in summer and there's not the same kind of parasites inside as there is outside. Plus it's easy to forget about an animal when it's outside.


So I think it's best to always keep them indoors. Up to you though.
Something like this may be better:


http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.js鈥?/a>
a small one, yes! be sure to have a bottom tray. Me and my cousins use them all the time because we raise rabbits

No comments:

Post a Comment