Friday, May 14, 2010

What can i use to discipline my rabbit?

he keeps chewing on my leather couches i have a pen for him but i like to take him out during the day, but he wont behave himself ive tried the sprays no luck there. i was looking into the whole pennies in a coffee can thing but that just seems painful to his hearing. thanks all!What can i use to discipline my rabbit?
Do NOT let your rabbit chew on leather as a treat. The first poster is ... an idiot. Leather is chemically treated and can poison your rabbit. You need to provide untreated wood toys, blocks, or willow/apple bark for the rabbit to chew and bite on.





Use a spray bottle and shout ';NO!';. Rabbits have poor short term memory but will memorize routines quickly. The rabbit will learn that this is a bad thing, then ... but he might not stop. You can buy bitter or spicy sprays to spray onto the problem areas. In theory, the rabbit licks it and is disgusted, so won't lick the area again. Unfortunately, one of my 3 rabbits eats everything and sprays won't stop him. Do try, however. These sprays will not harm your furniture.





Come join the livejournal community bunnyowners! http://community.livejournal.com/bunnyowners. It's filled with very knowledgeable and caring rabbit owners. You'll get better answers there than you will here. :)What can i use to discipline my rabbit?
If that's the only thing he's chewing on, I'd lock him out of that room. I guess I'm lucky because my rabbit doesn't chew on anything but paper and cardboard. :o)
I used the spray bottle trick with Brownie until he started sniffiling, I could have given him a respitory problem with that discipline! I took packing tape, the wide kind, and ran it along everything they chewed on. Sure it looks funny that we have tape on the walls, but they do not chew on them anymore. Do not make the tape double sided, as they are to furry to get the tape off.
I would give him his own little piece of leather to chew on. Or give him something he can safely chew on. He needs to chew, that's all poor little guy.


Isn't there someway you can just keep him away from the sofas?


Spray him with a small squirt gun when he does it.
I had a house rabbit, you can try putting vinegar or 'bitter apple' a nasty tasting substance from the pet store on them, but he'll probably chew anyway. Sometimes when I clapped my hands and said 'No' firmly, this stopped him for a while. He may just need to be in major supervision if the couches are to be saved though. Good luck.
I know this will sound a little cruel but it should work. Next time you catch him chewing on your couch...give him a spank or a light tap on his nose (enough so he notices) and move him away from the couch.....do this enough times and he'll get the picture, guaranteed. Oh, please be firm and do this consistently or it won't work.
The pennies in a pop can won't hurt him...use it! I'm surprised that a squirt gun didn't work. Protect your furniture and keep him away from other dangers (such as electrical wires) until you get the ';no!' down. Good luck
Get a coyote.
I also have 2 ';buns';.... My Diningroom is bunny proof. For example,my deepfreeze is in the diningroom, but, I have a large piece of white posterboard( I got it at a dollar store for 34 cents) wrapped around the cord area behind the deepfreeze. the posterboard is white and basically blends in with the wall, so they never try to chew on it. I Also put up 2 white boards across the diningroom doorways while the Buns are out playing.Their names are Mighty Mouse and Midnight, and they can stay out for hours playing,and of course they are litter trained.Good luck, just find a room that is safer for them.
yeah, discipline is kind of a strong word for a bunny. you can offer things to deter his attention from the couch (wood is good, they like to chew on wood) but I don't think you can actually train him not to chew on leather. also, be careful, my mom had a rabbit that ate through a lamp cord and electrocuted itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment