Friday, May 14, 2010

What can I do for my rabbit's malocclusion?

I just found out that my rabbit has malocclusion and his teeth were clipped. One of his teeth fell out. Will it affect how he eats? Is there a special food that I can feed him? I'm wondering if he needs to be on a soft food diet now. How often should his teeth be clipped? Will chewing on wood chews be helpful to him?What can I do for my rabbit's malocclusion?
I have kept rabbits for many years and worked with a vet before. Sometimes rabbits teeth fall out when they are clipped, but they soon grow back. No special diet is required if this happens, but it might not eat as much for a few days. To slow the rate of growth of the teeth down, you should supplement with plenty hay. A wood chew will help if he will use one- mine never did. I had a rabbit will a malocclusion that I found abandoned in the street. A malocclusion will not improve. Your rabbit will need its teeth trimmed several times a year. This is something I learned to do myself and if you have a willing vet, they will show you how...if you are happy doing it.( I had a very patient bunny!) Another option that the vet mentioned to me was removal of the teeth involved. I did not go for this option as I was confident in being able trim them, but it might be something you could discuss with your vet. I hope this helps...What can I do for my rabbit's malocclusion?
Take him to the vet, they'll tell you how to do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment